- Assistant Professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Principal investigator of Bio-Medical Image Processing Lab (BMIPL) at UNIST
- Postdoctoral fellow in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and in Radiology
- Mentors: Profs. Jeffrey A. Fessler and Yuni K. Dewaraja
- Postdoctoral fellow in Radiology, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital
- Mentor: Prof. Georges El Fakhri
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering: Systems (2009. 8)
- M.S. in Mathematics (2005. 12), M.S.E. in Electrical Engineering: Systems (2005. 4)
- Advisor: Prof. Jeffrey A. Fessler
- Thesis: Motion aspects in joint image reconstruction and nonrigid motion estimation
- B.S.E. in Electrical Engineering
- Thesis: The implementation of Internet phone
Honors and Awards
- The Bruce Hasegawa Young Investigator Medical Imaging Science Award (IEEE NPSS), Nov. 2015
- UNIST Outstanding Teaching Award, March 2014
- Selected as a cover paper in the Journal of Nuclear Medicine (Volume 53, Number 8), Aug. 2012
- Society of Nuclear Medicine Computer and Instrumentation Young Investigator Award, 2nd place, June 2010
- Ministry of Information and Communications Scholarship, Sep. 2003 – April 2005
Membership and Services
- Program Committee at IEIE Summer Workshop on Bio Image and Signal Processing (2016)
- Member of IEEE Signal Processing Society Computational Imaging Special Interest Group (SIG) (2016-)
- Editorial Board Member of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (2015-)
- Program Committee at IEIE Summer Workshop on Bio Image and Signal Processing (2014)
- Member of Bio Image and Signal Processing Research Society in IEIE (The Institute of Electronics and Information Engineers, Korea) Signal Processing Society (2014-)
- Poster Session Co-Chair at IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference (2013)
- Member of IEEE (2007-), Member of IEEE Signal Processing Society (2011-), Member of the Korean Society of Medical & Biological Engineering (2013, 2016)
- Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Journal of Nuclear Medicine, Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, Journal of Electronic Imaging, Medical Physics, Medical Image Analysis, Optics Express, Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
Grant Support – Current
- UNIST Future Innovation Research Grant, “Ultrafast Medical Imaging Project”, PI: Prof HyungJoon Cho (UNIST), Feb. 2016 – Dec. 2017. (Se Young Chun participating as a co-investigator)
- ICT R&D Program Research Grant (Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning / Institute for Information & communications Technology Promotion), “Development of Personal Identification Technology based on Biomedical Signals to Avoid Identity Theft,” Main PI institute: KETI, Sub-Project PI: Prof Sung-Phil Kim (UNIST), Jul. 2015 – Jun. 2018. (Se Young Chun participating as a co-investigator)
- NRF Young Investigator Research Grant (Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning), “Improving image quality in multimodal nuclear medicine imaging using asymmetric multimodal imaging information,” PI: Se Young Chun (UNIST), May 2014 – Apr. 2017.
Grant Support – Past
- Lockheed Martin Republic of Korea Science, Technology, and Research (ROKST&R) Fund, “Novel real-time visualization technique for characterizing microscale progressive damage and failure in composite materials in a fully 3D setting based on a DVC algorithm,” PI: Prof Wooseak Ji (UNIST), Co-PI: Se Young Chun (UNIST), Nov. 2015 – Oct. 2016.
- PNUYH-UNIST Joint Research Grant for Biomedical Convergence, “High-field Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Postmortem Brain Tissue and Neuropathological Correlation Study,” PI: Prof Jaehyeok Lee (Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, PNUYH), Co-PI: Se Young Chun (UNIST), Nov. 2013 – Oct. 2016.
- UNIST Course Re-design Project Grant, “Engineering Programming II,” PI: Giljin Jang (UNIST), Se Young Chun (UNIST), May 2013 – Jan. 2014.
- UNIST Research Seed Grant for New Faculty, “Improving SPECT image quality for I131 radioimmunotheraphy using CT side information,” PI: Se Young Chun (UNIST), Mar. 2013 – Sep. 2014.
- sychun at unist dot ac dot kr