- Associate Professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering (2017.9-)
- Assistant Professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering (2013.2-2017.8)
- Postdoctoral fellow in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and in Radiology
- Mentors: Profs. Jeffrey A. Fessler and Yuni K. Dewaraja
- Postdoctoral fellow in Radiology, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital
- Mentor: Prof. Georges El Fakhri
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering: Systems (2009. 8)
- M.S. in Mathematics (2005. 12), M.S.E. in Electrical Engineering: Systems (2005. 4)
- Advisor: Prof. Jeffrey A. Fessler
- Thesis: Motion aspects in joint image reconstruction and nonrigid motion estimation
- B.S.E. in Electrical Engineering
- Thesis: The implementation of Internet phone
Honors and Awards
- The Bruce Hasegawa Young Investigator Medical Imaging Science Award (IEEE NPSS), Nov. 2015
- UNIST Outstanding Teaching Award, March 2014
- Selected as a cover paper in the Journal of Nuclear Medicine (Volume 53, Number 8), Aug. 2012
- Society of Nuclear Medicine Computer and Instrumentation Young Investigator Award, 2nd place, June 2010
- Ministry of Information and Communications Scholarship, Sep. 2003 – April 2005
Membership and Services
- Associate Member of IEEE Bio Imaging and Signal Processing Technical Committee (BISP TC) (2018-)
- Area Chair of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP) (2018)
- Session Chair at IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (2016)
- Program Committee at IEIE Summer Workshop on Bio Image and Signal Processing (2016)
- Member of IEEE Signal Processing Society Computational Imaging Special Interest Group (SIG) (2016-)
- Editorial Board Member of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (2015-)
- Program Committee at IEIE Summer Workshop on Bio Image and Signal Processing (2014)
- Member of Bio Image and Signal Processing Research Society in IEIE (The Institute of Electronics and Information Engineers, Korea) Signal Processing Society (2014-)
- Poster Session Co-Chair at IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference (2013)
- Member of IEEE (2007-), Member of IEEE Signal Processing Society (2011-), Member of the Korean Society of Medical & Biological Engineering (2013, 2016)
- Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, IEEE Transactions on Computational Imaging, Journal of Nuclear Medicine, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Medical Physics, Medical Image Analysis, Optics Express, IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing
Grant Support – Current
- Healthcare technology R & D project (Ministry of Health and Welfare / Korea Health Industry Development Institute), “Development and learning platform of pathology diagnosis CDSS using artificial intelligence,” PI: Prof. Jinwook Choi (SNUH), Sub-Project PI: Prof. Wonki Jeong (UNIST), Apr. 2018 – Dec. 2020 (Se Young Chun participating as a co-investigator).
- Basic Science Research Program (Ministry of Education, National Research Foundation of Korea), “Robust motion corrected TOF PET joint estimation of activity, attenuation and nonrigid motion considering inter- /intra-gate motion,” Jun. 2017 – May 2023 (Role: PI)
- Industrial Core Technology Development Grant (Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy / Korea Evalu- ation Institute of Industrial Technology), “AI based components handling source technology development for robot grasping / assembly using vision / touch sensor information,” PI: Dr. Hee Seon Hwang (KIRO), Apr. 2017 – Dec. 2020 (Se Young Chun participating as a co-investigator).
- ICT R&D Program Research Grant (Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning / Institute for Information & communications Technology Promotion), “Development of Personal Identification Technology based on Biomedical Signals to Avoid Identity Theft,” Main PI institute: KETI, Sub-Project PI: Prof Sung-Phil Kim (UNIST), Jul. 2015 – Jun. 2018. (Se Young Chun participating as a co-investigator)
Grant Support – Past
- ITRC Grant (Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning / Institute for Information & communications Technology Promotion), “Artificial Intelligence Research Center,” Director: Jae Ho Han, Sub-Project PI: Chang-Su Kim, Jul. 2017 – Dec. 2017 (Role: Co-investigator)
- Convergence Research Grant of Science, Technology, Humanity, Social Science (Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning / National Research Foundation of Korea), “Development of Interface Platform for Emotion and Behavior Analysis Based on Standard Movement Code,” PI: Prof Hyung Sook Kim (Inha Univ.), Sep. 2016 – Jul. 2017 (Role: Sub-Project PI)
- UNIST Future Innovation Research Grant, “Ultrafast Medical Imaging Project”, PI: Prof HyungJoon Cho (UNIST), Feb. 2016 – Dec. 2017. (Se Young Chun participating as a co-investigator)
- NRF Young Investigator Research Grant (Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning), “Improving image quality in multimodal nuclear medicine imaging using asymmetric multimodal imaging information,” PI: Se Young Chun (UNIST), May 2014 – Apr. 2017.
- Lockheed Martin Republic of Korea Science, Technology, and Research (ROKST&R) Fund, “Novel real-time visualization technique for characterizing microscale progressive damage and failure in composite materials in a fully 3D setting based on a DVC algorithm,” PI: Prof Wooseak Ji (UNIST), Co-PI: Se Young Chun (UNIST), Nov. 2015 – Oct. 2016.
- PNUYH-UNIST Joint Research Grant for Biomedical Convergence, “High-field Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Postmortem Brain Tissue and Neuropathological Correlation Study,” PI: Prof Jaehyeok Lee (Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, PNUYH), Co-PI: Se Young Chun (UNIST), Nov. 2013 – Oct. 2016.
- UNIST Course Re-design Project Grant, “Engineering Programming II,” PI: Giljin Jang (UNIST), Se Young Chun (UNIST), May 2013 – Jan. 2014.
- UNIST Research Seed Grant for New Faculty, “Improving SPECT image quality for I131 radioimmunotheraphy using CT side information,” PI: Se Young Chun (UNIST), Mar. 2013 – Sep. 2014.
- sychun at unist dot ac dot kr